The Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO), is a public instrumentality of the State of Maryland, established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1998, to, among other things, facilitate the creation of businesses and support their growth in all regions of the State. TEDCO is leading innovation to market in Maryland and contributing to a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem in the State through its various programs and funds.
The Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund (MSCRF) was established in 2006 to award grants and loans for State-funded stem cell research as determined by the Maryland Stem Cell Research Commission (MSCRC). The MSCRC seeks to hire a proactive, creative scientist with expertise in stem cell biology and with exceptional scientific communication and project management skills.
MSCRF is focused on identifying and fostering cutting-edge research and innovation in the field of regenerative medicine in Maryland. Our Accelerating Cures initiative comprises programs that help transition human stem cell-based technologies from the bench to the bedside, as well as mechanisms to build and grow stem cell companies in Maryland. MSCRF is committed to accelerating stem cell research, cures and commercialization, in addition to building a collaborative stem cell community in our region.
This position is ideal for a person passionate about regenerative medicine, scientific communication and driven by high-impact work. It represents an opportunity to interact with and support leading scientists in the field of stem cell research and regenerative medicine at multiple institutions across the State of Maryland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The MSCRF Manager is responsible for:
- Maintaining and administering all funding supported by the MSCRF,
- Meeting with the awardees, reviewing the progress of their projects and overseeing reports,
- Identifying and coordinating areas of support needed by the awardees for the success of their projects,
- Establishing and maintaining professional relationships with the awardees and their organizations,
- Working together with the MSCRF team and providing the necessary support during the review processes, midterm and final reports,
- Assisting in documentation and analysis of program follow-on metrics, and funding and coordinating update of MSCRF resources/databases,
- Work with the Executive Director to finalize and maintain all RFAs,
- Writing and editing summaries of funded projects and scientific papers published by MSCRF scientists and the stem cell community,
- Creating scientist-facing content for social media platforms,
- Providing scientific content and ensuring the scientific accuracy of external content on digital platforms - writing and proofreading a wide variety of MSCRF’s external scientific content (including newsletters, website, social media, annual reports, manuscripts),
- Assisting in creating content for MSCRF public-facing events (panel discussions, webinars, etc.), and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ideal candidate would have an advanced degree (PhD) in the life sciences with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in stem cell research and training and/or grants management and scientific writing expertise.
- Master’s degree in life sciences or relevant field with a minimum of 5 years stem cell research/grants management/science writing and communications experience.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States; no sponsorship for work visas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate will have a/an:
- Ability to understand complex stem cell technologies across diverse disciplines and disease areas, as demonstrated by relevant technical training and established track record/experience/connections in the stem cell field.
- Strong attention to detail and administrative processes.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects, budgets and ensuring project goals are reached.
- Ability to flex between strategic thinking and hands-on management of programs, projects and processes.
- Strong analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and with the ability to manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal/written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, and strong collaborative/teamwork skills.
- Exceptional science writing skills for a variety of audiences.
- Exceptional proofreading skills.
- Ability to quickly and accurately digest scientific concepts and large amounts of technical data and translate them for different audiences / in different formats.
- Ability to write and edit quickly, multitask, and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Exceptional customer/client relations management skills
- Working knowledge of early-stage commercialization of technology or university-based start-ups is a plus.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position does require in-state travel to Maryland’s universities and companies. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
TEDCO is an equal employment opportunity employer
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Applications will be considered as they are received.
The position will remain open until filled.